Salatu niebe: This vibrant salad features black-eyed beans which are a creamy, protein-rich white legume with a pea-like flavor.
It is a favorite in Senegal and is often served after the main meal.
What is Salatu Niebe?
Salatu niebe is an appetizing salad from Senegal based on black-eyed peas. It consists of a combination of pre-cooked and cooled black-eyed peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, scallions, and habanero peppers.
This Senegalese salad was made popular outside Senegal by Chef Pierre Thiam, one of Senegal’s renowned chefs and author of the cookbook “Yolole! Recipes from the heart of Senegal”.
All ingredients are finely diced, except the legumes, and then tossed together with lime juice, olive oil, and chopped parsley.
One of the best salads out in the western region of Africa. Great for feeding crowds as it can be made ahead of time, keeps, and travels well. Serve as an appetizer or perfect side dish.
Salatu Niebe Recipe
To make, you start by rinsing soaked black-eyed beans under running water and drain. Cook in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
Toss the remaining ingredients in a bowl with black-eyed beans. Season well with salt and pepper, and serve.
The salad can be eaten as a side dish or after the main meal, as is usually the custom in Senegal.
It is generally prepared at least an hour before serving for the ingredients to blend well and soak up the seasonings.
Be Sure to Try These Other Senegal Dishes!
Be sure to recreate this incredible salad recipe. Enjoy!
Salatu Niebe Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- ½ pound 1-1½ cups of dried black eyed peas, rinsed and soaked in hot water for 1 hour
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 to mato
- 1 green onion
- 1 mild green chile
- 2 limes
- Drain soaked black-eyed peas. Cook in a saucepan of boiling, salted water for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Drain peas and set aside to cool.
- While the peas are cooking, wash, peel, and chop the cucumber.
- Wash, seed, and chop the red bell pepper.
- Wash and chop the tomato, green onion, and chile.
- Use a citrus juicer or squeeze the juice from the limes into a cup or small bowl.
- Place the peas in a large bowl. Stir in the other ingredients. Season well with salt and pepper and serve.