Do you need a fruit salad recipe? Welcome to the right place! This recipe is perfect for a backyard bbq or any occasion. There are never leftovers!
This is one of my favorite fruit salad recipes, as I think the sauce makes it. This salad is tastier the longer you can let it soak in its juices.
Is Eating Fruit Salad Healthy?
Eating fruit salads promotes weight loss, provides healthy skin and hair, boosts the immune system, eases digestion, prevents heart diseases, and treats anemia as fruits are loaded with fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Fruit Salad Varieties
This recipe comes in many shapes and varieties. Depending on geography or time of year, one type of fruit salad may be more popular than another.
Here are some of the most popular –
- Simple Fruit Salad – served with no nuts, marshmallows, or heavy dressings, this is the version that you see in this post. It is all about the fruit.
- Fruit Cocktail – typically sold canned, you can also make a homemade fruit cocktail. The defining difference is that fruit salad contains larger pieces of fruit, while the fruit cocktail is diced into smaller pieces.
- Jello Salad – Made with a unique combination of flavored gelatin, fruit, grated carrots, and sometimes other ingredients such as cottage cheese, marshmallows, nuts, or pretzels.
Perfect Fruit Salad Recipe
Here is what we include for this recipe: Blueberries, kiwi, bananas, green grapes, cantaloupe, and watermelon.
To make, you start by washing all your vegetables that need to be washed. Slice the kiwi, watermelon, and cantaloupe – as well as the grapes if there will be young children
Toss in a bowl and refrigerate with blueberries and kiwi. Right before you are ready to serve it, slice the blueberries and fold them in
Serve immediately and refrigerate the leftovers!
Can I Use Other Fruit?
Absolutely. Honestly, you could use whatever fresh fruit you want in this salad: blackberries, bananas, cherries, pineapple . . . the sky’s the limit.
Leftovers, while perhaps not as visually appealing, are just as delicious up to 2-3 days later.
- Mix with some vanilla yogurt for a protein-filled dessert.
- Blend into a smoothie.
- Scoop onto your favorite cake or brownie recipe.
If you made this recipe, I will advise you to put it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours before serving it. Enjoy!
Perfect Summer Fruit Salad
- ⅔ cup fresh orange juice
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 cups strawberries hulled and sliced
- 3 kiwi fruit peeled and sliced
- 3 bananas sliced
- 2 oranges peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 2 cups blueberries
- Bring orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, orange zest, and lemon zest to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
- Layer the fruit in a large, clear glass bowl in this order: pineapple, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bananas, oranges, grapes, and blueberries. Pour the cooled sauce over the fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.