Prepare time: 20 min
Cook: 20 min
Ready in: 40 min
Plantain Bread is a good food which can make due for snacks and appetizers. It is belle full and easy to make. I have done this several times and i enjoyed every moment.
- 3 large, very ripe plantains
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Chile Sambal
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 cup salted peanuts, as accompaniment, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C. Peel the plantains, cut them into small chunks, and put in a large, deep mixing bowl.
- Mash into a thick paste with your fingers or an electric blender. If you use a blender, you may need to add 2 to 4 tablespoons water for smoother blending.
- Add the sambal, rice flour, and salt and mix well.
- Gently heat the corn oil in a small skillet and add the turmeric.
- Stir well, remove from the heat, and blend it into the plantain mixture, which should be thick yet soft enough to pour. If it is too soft, add small amounts of rice flour (a tablespoon at a time); if too stiff, add small amounts of water.
- Grease a standard loaf pan, and pour the plantain mixture into it. Bake for 1 hour, or until cooked and firm. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before turning it out on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve with salted peanuts or as an accompaniment to other dishes.