Do you have any left over cooked rice? A great way to use it up is to make fried rice! Fried rice works best with chilled leftover rice actually. Fresh rice can fry up a bit mushy. But leftover rice that had a chance to dry out a bit is perfect for the recipe.
Anything can go into fried rice, usually a combination of veggies, beaten egg, and a protein such as the shrimp used in this recipe, or chicken or fish.
Shrimp Fried Rice
- 4 tbsp canola
- 1 lb medium-large shrimp cleaned
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic finely minced or pressed
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 4 cup cooked rice
- 1 onion
- 3 - 4 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- To a large non-stick skillet or wok, add 2 tablespoons canola. Add the eggs and cook to scramble, stirring as necessary. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, add the garlic, ginger, onion and cook for 3 minute, stir intermittently.
- Add the shrimp, and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the peas and cook for about 2 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften, stir intermittently.
- Add the rice, soy sauce, evenly season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, cook for another minute.
- Serve hot.