These stuffed rolled pastries are an absolute treat and make perfect appetizers to serve for breakfast, brunch, or snacks. Puff pastry filled with ground beef then baked until golden.
You can make these ahead of time or freeze them for later.
About The Recipe
These savory Stuffed Puff Pastry Pockets are also known as Fagottini or Saccottini are filled the perfect Italian Filling, prosciutto, mozzarella and thinly sliced potato slices. The perfect appetizer or main dish.
They can be filled with anything, make them sweet or savory. You can buy them at any local bakery but when you discover how easy they are to make, you would make it yourself.
How To Make Stuffed Rolled Pastry
To Make stuffed rolled pastry, you will need the following ingredients;
- Ground Meat – I often use beef or turkey and they both are incredibly delicious with these. Mince chicken thighs would work just as well.
- Ginger garlic – both add a nice flavor to the meat
- Spices – this is not heavily spiced and the puff pastry is really the star here. You can add more or less of the spices but don’t over spice it.
- Lemon juice – really helps bring out the flavor of the meat, spices, and herbs.
What is the Best Temperature for Baking Stuffed Rolled Pastry ?
It needs to be baked in a very hot oven, I find the best temperature to be 400F (200C). You need the high heat in order to create steam in the oven so that the dough will rise. If you find that your dough is browning too soon, just cover the pockets with a sheet of foil and continue baking.
How To Store
I think the best thing is to eat them as soon as possible. Although I have kept mine in the fridge for a couple of days and just reheated them either in the oven or microwave.
If you love stuffing, and who doesn’t, you have to try this savory and elegant main-dish stuffed rolled pastry.
Stuffed Rolled Pastry
- 2 cup semolina
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar optional, but it gives a nice golden color to pancakes
- ½ lt lukewarm water
- 50 g butter mixture plus 50ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp oil
- 300 g ground meat
- Spices: salt, pepper, ginger, garlic powder, harissa
- 1 cup vegetable
- 1 onion
- salt to taste
- In a large casserole, heat the olive oil and add the onions over medium heat. Add the vegetable and cook for 2 mins
- Add the minced meat and the seasoning. Stir to break up the meat until the meat is browned all over and all liquids have evaporated, about 5 minutes. At this stage your filling is ready, set aside and keep in the fridge.
- In your robot or bread machine, mix the flour, semolina salt, sugar and add small warm water until obtaining a very smooth dough (about 5min at medium speed)
- Form small balls and let stand 5min
- Spread the dough with the butter / oil mixture, without tearing it
- Add the ground meat and roll
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 18 to 20 minutes until lightly golden