Tajine zitoun is a traditional Algerian dish made with a combination of chicken pieces, olives, onions, carrots, mushrooms, thyme, bay leaves, lemon juice, and saffron or turmeric, flour, and lemon juice are mixed at the end of the cooking process.
The dish is usually cooked in a tagine and garnished with cilantro, and served hot with saffron rice on the side.
If you are looking for something different for iftar, this Tajine Zitoun recipe makes the deal.
Tajine Zitoun Recipe
This traditional Algerian chicken stew is very easy to prepare. By the look of the dish, you will be forgiven if you mistake it for Moroccan Tagine. However, just like Moroccans, Algerians mostly use earth-ware pots to prepare food.
What makes Algerian cuisine unique is its creativity when mixing the spices, and this Zitoune recipe is not an exception. The meal boasts of its vibrant and pleasant flavor enough to invigorate your taste buds.
Today, this post brings this amazing delicacy right to your kitchen, so get cooking!
Algerian Tajine Zitoune Recipe
- 1 pcs onion chopped
- 1 pcs carrot sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups green olives without seeds wash it very well before using to reduce the amount of salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- as per taste salt
- Ingredients for Cooking Chicken
- 1 whole chicken chest
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- as per taste salt
- Before starting, remove the bone from the chest of chicken, and make thin slices.
- In a simple pot, put the vegetable oil, the shopped onion, carrots, salt, black pepper, the bone of the chicken and the green olive and stir very well on a low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Then put 3 glasses of water, and let it boil till the olives are cooked.
- After that, in a pan put one tablespoon of butter and put the slices of chicken, salt, half teaspoon of black pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of parsley and stir till the chicken get the color of gold.
- After that put the mixture in the pot in to the pan with the chicken and let them boil for about 5 minutes.
- When the Tagine is ready remove the bone and serve.