Mazagran is known as the original ice coffee, it consists of strong coffee that is poured over ice.
The drink is usually served in a tall, narrow glass or an eponymous glass made from porcelain or clay.
We’ll show you what mazagran is and how to make it at home. Plus, keep reading to find brewing tips and tricks!
What is Mazagran (Lemon Coffee)?
Mazagran is a cold espresso drink that originally comes from Algeria, though it’s now much more popular in Portugal. It’s essentially coffee lemonade, combining citrusy acidity with the bold flavor of espresso.
The lemon juice was originally added to improve the flavor of low-end coffee beans. But don’t hesitate to use your pricier beans — this tasty drink won’t ruin their flavor.
It’s essentially coffee lemonade, combining citrusy acidity with the bold flavor of espresso. The lemon juice was originally added to improve the flavor of low-end coffee beans.
But don’t hesitate to use your pricier beans — this tasty drink won’t ruin their flavor.
Here is how to make it in simple steps;
- Pour ice into a tall glass.
- Pull a shot of espresso
- Add a sweetener
- Add the espresso to the glass
- Squeeze in fresh lemon juice
- Garnish with a lemon slice and enjoy! If you’d like, add a slice of lemon as a garnish. Now you’re ready to enjoy your iced lemon coffee!
Variations of Mazagran
Want to adjust this drink to your tastes? Here are some suggestions to personalize your unusual drink or take it over the top:
Sour or Sweet: If you’re a big fan of sour drinks, you may want to add more lemon juice and less sugar to your mazagran. You can always squeeze in another lemon or add a spoonful of honey at the end. And if you want to experiment a little, why not try substituting a lime? You may enjoy the sour twist!
Skip the lemon: Prefer a drink that’s closer to the original Algerian recipe? Skip the lemon and make a simple iced espresso. You can pull a shot of espresso directly over ice, or mix it with sugar and then add a few ice cubes.
Be Sure to Try These Other Authentic Drinks Recipes!
Alright, let’s get to the Mazagran (Lemon Coffee) recipes!
- 1 Nespresso Envivo Lungo or Vivalto Lungo capsule
- 4 tsp Lemon juice
- 3 ice cubes
- 4 tsp of cane sugar syrup
- Pour 4 tsp of cane sugar syrup in a glass
- Mix it with 4 tsp of water and pour it delicately on the cane sugar syrup so that it does not mix
- Add 3 ice cubes in the glass
- Extract Envivo Lungo or Vivalto Lungo in a jug
- Pour the coffee delicately on the ice
- Optional: add some zest on it
- Mix it all and enjoy