What is Meshabek ?
It is a rounded sweet made of a deep-fried crunchy batter soaked either in honey or sugar syrup.
Its name translates to “twisted,” and that is what it looks like: thick, twisted threads of deliciousness!
It is another dessert originating from Tanta and Damietta to spread all over Egypt.
In Egypt, the recipes are very much shared among families, which explains why the preparation process varies slightly from one household to another.
This recipe reflects the richness of the ancient country, though complex in taste yet easy to make, and so delicious.
Be Sure to Try These Other Egyptian Dishes!
Below is the step-by-step printable recipe, we hope you try it!
Egytian Meshabek مشبك مصري
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp rose watr Optional
- Add all ingredients and stir. Boil it for 2 minute
- Mix flour and starch and add salt and sugar then mix
- Add yeast in a hole you dig n the middle
- Pour water gradually and mix till you get creamy texture
- Leave it for at least 2 hrs.
- Use a bastry bag with a plain tiny round tip then pipe it to very hot veg oil and fry it to golden color and remove to put immediately in cold syrup and remove to a clean dry plate.