This greens and rice is a recipe that is originally from Madagascar. It was converted into a slow cooker dish so it could be taken to work for a fundraiser for ‘Operation Rice Bowl.’ I tripled the recipe to feed a crowd. I increased the healthy aspect by using fresh vegetables. You too can do the same or even invent something better to add to it.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oi
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 bunches collard greens, torn into pieces
- 12 cups water
- 5 cups brown rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute tomatoes, onions, and ginger in the hot oil until the tomatoes are just beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir collard green pieces into the tomato mixture; cook until the greens begin to soften, about 1 minute more.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a slow cooker; add water, rice, and salt.
- Cook on Medium until the water is completely absorbed, about 4 hours.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.