This awesome Somalian doughnuts, Kac Kac (Ka’Ka) are crispy snack on the outside and soft on the inside. The Kac Kac cookies are enjoyable served with tea with milk(shaah caddeeys) or coffee. Kac Kac are sold in traditional Somali restaurants (maqaayo Soomaali) in Mogadishu and other cities in Somalia. The Maqaayo Soomaali cooks the snack in big bashes in the morning and they don’t last very long. This a perfect snack during the Ramadan.
Somali Doughnuts (Kac Kac)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted melted butter very warm
- 2 tbsp milk warm
- Combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Knead well for 3 minutes.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to ¼ inch (½ cm) thick. Cut into 24 pieces, then mark the surface by pressing a knife lightly on the dough.
- Fry in canola oil (or any other flavorless oil) at 375°F/190°C for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown. Use medium heat.