Table of Contents
Cinq centimes is a classic street food item that is sold in almost every food market in the country, especially in Dakar.
It’s a quick and easy recipe to make. Something tasty to whip up during a boring winter lockdown Sunday.
What is Cinq Centimes?
In French, Cinq Centimes means Five Cents. Don’t be fooled by the name. They are popular peanut cookies sold in Senegalese markets.
They are named so because they were originally small in size just like French coins (centimes).
Cinq Centimes Recipe
This isn’t the sort of recipe that must be studied like a terrible, paragraph-long math problem.
This is not a prerequisite to calculus or even rocket science. This is a snippet – a slice of a dream from Senegalese street vendors. A one-two-three treat worthy of any snack time.
The ingredients to make these snacks are very easy to get. You will need, Flour, Sugar, cinnamon, egg, vanilla essence, butter, salt, and cooking oil.
To make cinq centimes, round butter cookies (or simple sugar cookies) are topped with a layer of peanut butter, then topped again with coarsely chopped or crushed peanuts. The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
Be Sure to Try These Other African Snacks!
Be sure to recreate these incredible snacks. Enjoy!
- 250 g flour
- 100 g sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 room temperature egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 g butter
- 2.5 ml salt
- 25 ml cooking oil
- 125 g peanut butter
- 1/2 cup peanuts rough chopped
- Sift your flour in to a large bowl. Add salt, sugar, vanilla essence, and cinnamon and whisk together.
- Pour the cooking oil into the dry ingredients and mix for three minutes.
- Beat the egg and add to the mixture. Then add your melted butter.
- Knead to form a dough that is not too sticky and not too hard.
- Divide the dough into balls and chill them in a fridge for about one hour.
- Lightly flour your working area and roll the dough into desired thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut your dough to your desired shapes and place them on greased baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven up to 1800 C. Bake for twenty minutes or until lightly bro
- Place the cookies on a cooling rack. Once they have cooled down, apply peanut butter on top and decorate it with chopped peanuts.