Breakfast is the first meal of a day, usually eaten in the morning. The word in English refers to breaking the fasting period of the previous night. It is arguably the most important meal of the day.
Here’s a look at a list of breakfast ideas that are delicious, nutritious and easy to make;
Easy to make, delicious and filling. Fluffy pancakes make very easy breakfast.
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 tablespoon Sugar
- ¼ cup Melted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- Sift flour and baking powder to remove clumps or unwanted items.
- In one bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, crack in the egg, pour the milk, melted butter and vanilla essence and mix well using a fork.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour the wet ingredients inside and gently fold the batter together with a wooden spoon until there are no longer any large lumps.
- Heat up a pan on medium heat; add a teaspoon of butter or vegetable oil when it is hot.
- Scoop a small portion of the pancake batter and add to the pan.
- Flip and cook both sides for 2-3 minutes. It’s ready to flip over when bubbles/holes appear at the top of the pancake.
Serve with maple syrup and a cup of hot coffee or tea.
Wheat Porridge (Belila)
Nutrient packed and ready in twenty five minutes. The wheat berries are cooked, undrained, and stored in the fridge. Whenever you need to serve, just heat the amount you desire and add the hot milk to it.
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat berries
- 1/4 cup hot milk, or to taste
- 1/4 cup almonds, or to taste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste (optional)
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add wheat berries.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let soak, 6 hours to overnight. Drain.
- Combine soaked wheat berries with remaining 4 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Simmer over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand until berries pop open, 10 to 15 minutes more.
Divide wheat berries among serving bowls.
Add a few spoonfuls of hot milk, a handful of almonds, and a sprinkle of cinnamon to each bowl before serving.
Cheese Omelette is a perfect breakfast idea. Great source of protein and ready in fifteen minutes.
- Hot Water
- Bread crumbs
- Grated cheese
- Beat the egg yolks thoroughly and add to them the hot water, salt, crumbs and cheese.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and put it carefully into the yolk mixture.
- Heat the butter in an omelet pan (if you have any) if otherwise use a frying pan (sauce pan). Pour in the mixture, brown very slowly over the heat, then place in the oven to cook the top.
Fried Plantain And Egg Sauce
Fried Plantain is very popular in Nigeria and commonly called “Dodo”. It is a simple and fast breakfast idea, and can be very delicious when served with egg sauce.
- Ripe Plantain
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh pepper
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Wash, peel and slice the plantain, add little salt, toss the plantain to ensure that the salt is evenly distributed.
- Set your vegetable oil on cooker to heat up.
- When heated, add a considerable quantity of the plantain slices to the oil, leaving enough room for the slice to fry evenly.
- When the underside of the slices starts to turn golden, flip the slices on their other side.
- Fry till a desirable browning is achieved.
- Remove it and put in a sieve to drain out the oil.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl,whisk very well add salt.
- Wash and slice the onion,fresh pepper and fresh tomatoes.
- Heat up vegetable oil,add the onion fry for few seconds,add the fresh pepper and fresh tomatoes.
- Add salt afry for 3minutes then pour in the green peas.
- Fry for 1minute and yummy egg sauce is ready.
Spiced Banana-Chocolate Muffins
These muffins are a great way to start the day. What’s best? You can save them for later as energy boosting snacks. Ready in thirty five minutes.
- White whole wheat flour
- Brown sugar
- Chia seeds (optional)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Mashed banana (from about 3 very ripe medium bananas)
- Low-fat buttermilk
- Vegetable oil
- Eggs, beaten
- Bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin-pan cups with paper liners.
- In large bowl, whisk oats, flour, sugar, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. In medium bowl, stir together bananas, buttermilk, oil, and egg. Fold banana mixture into flour mixture. Divide among cups in muffin pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers of muffins comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove muffins from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
Drizzle tops with chocolate.