There are certain seeds and nuts that can be processed into drinks, and tigernut is one of them. The reason why tigernut stands out is because it confers a lot of nutritional benefits.
Tigernut goes by several names like chufa, earth almond and yellow nutsedge. They can also be referred to as edible tubers. Tigernut originated from Egypt where it was used as both food and medicine. They contain milk in their nuts and this milk can be extracted during processing and used to make a nutrient rich drink known as tigernut drink.
Tigernut drink is made by squeezing out the milk contained in the nut. The milk is full of rich and nutty flavour. Tigernut drink can be taken without adding sweeteners. You also can decide to add natural sweeteners like dates, honey or maple syrup.
Below is the recipe for tigernut drink:
- 2 cups of tigernut
- 4 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and sweetener
- Put the tigernut in a jar, add the salt and cover.
- Put the jar in a fridge, allowing the tigernut to soak for 24-48 hours. The soaking will help the tigernut get soft and make the extraction process easier. The longer the soaking time the softer they will be.
- After soaking, sieve out the tigernut from the water and rinse them properly.
- Add the vanilla extract and sweetener then blend on high speed until it gives a smooth and creamy paste. The blending process should last for at least 3 minutes.
- Pour the paste through a cheese cloth or fine sieve to separate the milk from the tigernut pulp.
- Put the pulp back into the blender, add 1-2 cups of water and blend again for some minutes.
- Sieve out the milk from this batch and redo the process for about two more times.
- After you have extracted sensible amount of milk, place the milk in a jar and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Note: It is advisable to chill the tigernut drink immediately because it can spoil if left at room temperature for more than 3 hours.
Tigernut drinks can be used as an alternative milk source for vegetarians. They have a lot of health benefits gotten from the tigernut which they are extracted from. This variety of health benefits makes tigernut to be classified as a super food. Some benefit of tigernut drink include;
- They Are Rich in Nutrients
Tigernuts contain an excellent amount of nutrients like; fiber, carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamin C, vitamin E, iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and zinc. They are also a good source of antioxidants which protect the body from cancers and heart diseases. A 75ml of tigernut drink will give you a total calorie of 103-121, making tigernut drink a good source of your daily calorie need.
- They Help Improve Digestion
Tigernut contain a great amount of fiber which is known to promote a healthy digestion. They contain insoluble fibers which help move food through the gut easily. Tigernut also contains enzymes such as lipases, amylases and catalases which also help to break down food in your gut, thereby reducing the risk of gassing, indigestion and diarrhea.
- They Reduce Blood Sugar Level
The high fiber content of tigernut makes it a good choice when you want to keep your blood sugar levels in check. Tigernuts are also rich in an amino acid called arginine. Arginine increases the sensitivity and production of insulin. This increase is important when you want to control your blood sugar level.
- They Improve Heart Health
The ability of tigernut to improve your heart health is partly due to the high amount of monounsaturated fats contained in them. Foods that are rich in monounsaturated fat have been linked to lower levels of bad LDL cholesterol. Such foods are also associated with a lower risk of heart attack and stroke. Arginine which is an amino acid in tigernut helps promote heart health when your body uses it to make nitric oxide which lowers blood pressure.
- The Act as an Aphrodisiac
Tigernuts have a potential to boost libido. In many medical trials, tigernuts have been used to treat erectile dysfunction, boost libido and increase sperm count.
Making tigernut drink is just one of many ways to eat tigernuts. They can also be used as snacks or as toppings in various dishes like breakfast cereal, smoothies, yoghurts and salad. Tigernut drink is really a must have, try it today and enjoy the delicious milky goodness.