Plantain chips, also known as alloco, dodo, or chicharritas, are formed with thinly sliced green plantains that are either deep-fried or oven-baked till crisp and golden and seasoned. Plantains are a good carb alternative to potatoes since they grow well in the tropics, where potatoes cannot.
- Mandolin or Knife
- 1 Ripe plantains Make sure they're not overripe!
- Vegetable oil
- Do not use overripe plantains:
- Unless you are a skilled knife expert, don't hesitate to use a mandolin slicer:
- Make sure your oil is at the right temperature
- Do not salt or season the plantains before frying them
- Place the plantain chips in the hot oil one at a time, or in a single layer
- Flip the chips continuously!
- Watch the color and listen for the sizzle
- Season while hot
- Cool completely before serving