During Ramadan, Sudanese Madeeda Hilba is frequently served as a dessert. The recipe is very straightforward and only slightly different from the customary vendhayakkali recipe.
This Ramadan recipe is very healthy and comforting and has a delicious dessert flavor thanks to the addition of milk and a few other ingredients.
What is Madeeda Hilba?
Fenugreek porridge, also known as medeeda hilba in Arabic, is a thick porridge made with fenugreek seeds that has the consistency of custard. Fenugreek seeds are fried in oil and then cooked with milk, sugar, athrun, and other ingredients. Fenugreek seeds have a variety of therapeutic benefits.
Sudanese people hold the view that it can ease aches and pains and calm an upset stomach. In order to increase milk production, older women would make this special porridge for “kerijo,” a term for a lactating mother of a newborn.
- Fenugreek seeds - 2 tsp heaped
- Salt -1 tsp
- Milk - 2 cups
- Wheat flour - 2 cups
- Sugar - as required between 1 to 1.5 cups
- Water - 5 1/3 cups
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Oil or unsalted butter - 1/2 cup
- In a kadai, pour oil. When it becomes hot, add the fenugreek seeds and saute for a couple of minutes. Next, add 3 cups of water, salt, and cook for 15-20 minutes in low to medium flame, until the fenugreek is wellcooked.
- Now, add the milk, and when it becomes hot, add the sugar and stir to make it dissolve. Meanwhile, in a vessel or bowl, add the wheat flour and 2 cups of water, and whisk well to make the mix lump free. Add this mix to the kadai, and keep on stirring to avoid lumps.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in 1/3 cup of water, strain and add it to the kadai. This gives a beautiful color to the dessert as time passes on, and retains the softness as well. Keep on stirring for a few mins.
- When the mix leaves the sides of the pan and reaches the perfect consistency, switch off the stove, and pour it to the moulds. That's it!! Serve warm or chilled!!
- Your soothing n delicious Madeeda Hilba is ready to be served!! Njjoy!!
I have used unboiled milk here. You can also use boiled milk.