Efo Riro means mixed Vegetables, it is from the Western part of Nigeria and the Calabar’s has a similar soup called “Edikaikong Soup”. Efo Riro is enjoyed by many, you can also use various option of Leaf such as Shokoyokoto Efotete “green amaranth” popularly known as Green e.t.c. You can cook efo riro without stress by following these simple steps down, also, you can enjoy this soup with Pounded yam, Eba, Amala, Rice, Yam and any other type of swallow.
- Stock fish “panla” also known as okporoko
- Smoked fish
- Red beef meat
- Chilli pepper (shombo)
- Tatashey (bell pepper)
- Ata rodo (red scotch bonnet pepper)
- Palm oil
- Locust beans (iru)
- Seasoning cubes
- Curry powder
- Salt to taste
- Chopped shokoyokoto leaves or green (Efotete)
- Soak the stockfish in hot water for 10mins and rinse with cold water shred it with four finger and set aside.
- Remove the bones from the smoked fish, washed and set aside.
- Wash the beef thoroughly with water and place in a medium sized pot add two seasoning cubes, salt, curry, thyme, onion, water and leave to cook on medium heat. 25mins into the cooking time, add the smoked fish and stockfish leaves to cook for 10mins more.
- Chop the shoko leave with a knife and place in a bowl, add salt pour boiling water over it and place a lid over the bowl allow rest for 15-20 mins. Rinse out the shoko and squeeze out all excess water.
Preparation of the Pepper Puree
- Wash the ata rodo ,tatashy,(ensure that you remove seed seeds cause it’s usually bitter) chilies Onion.
- Blend and pour in a small pot and cook till there’s no liquid left.
Main Soup Preparation
- Add the palm in the empty pot and leave to heat for about 20mins.
- Add the chopped onion, pepper puree and locust beans (iru) stir fry for 4mins.
- Gently ad the soup stock including the meat and fish ,seasoning cubes, cray fish and leaves for 6 mins
- Add the chopped leaves and stir to incorporate the mixture leave to cook for like 8mins.
Now your efo riro is set you can serve it with swallow, yam or rice.