Pounded yam is one of the best Nigeria swallows that I have seen so far, made with boiled white yam. Pounded yam is usually made by pounding as the name implies but these days a lot of people found it very difficult to pound, so they decided to use the powdered version as a quick alternative. The problem with this powdered version is that it tastes so not like the real pounded yam made from scratch.
- Mortar and Pestle
- yam tuber
- Peel the skin off the yam and then slice.
- Put them in the pot and boil till soft, add enough water so as the water in the yam won’t dry up because you will need it while pounding.
- Scoop the hot yams into a mortar and pound with the pestle, if the yam that you are pounding gets stiff add some of the water used in cooking the yam into the mortar and keep pounding.
- Pound the yam until it has a stretchy consistency and doesn’t stick when touched.
- Scoop your pounded yam in a plate.
- Serve with any Nigeria Soups.