Jollof rice or jollof is a one-pot rice dish popular in many West African countries such as Cameroon, Togo. It is also called ‘reddish one-pot dish’ and varies in these countries. This recipe is the Ivoirian version.
Ivoirian Chicken Jollof Rice
Jollof rice or jollof is a one-pot rice dish popular in many West African countries such as Cameroon, Togo. It is also called 'reddish one-pot dish'
- 4 cups rice jasmine
- 1 chicken cut into pieces
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 5 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp ginger
- 1 onion
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 10 10 habanero pepper optional
- pinch of baking soda
- salt to taste
- Blend the garlic, ginger, ½ onion, clove.
- Season the chicken with half of the blended spices, add the cube and salt to taste. Add 1/2 sliced onion. Add water and cook until tender. Fry the chicken.
- Add the tomato puree, the tomato paste, ½ onion puree, the cube, the remaining blended spices, the cayenne, the carrots sliced in half and the cabbage slice, a pinch of baking soda and salt to taste.
- Add 7 cups of the water to the tomato mixture add the watched rice and salt to taste. Cook the rice.
- When all the water evaporates from the rice add the habanero pepper.
- Serve the rice with the side of vegetable and the chicken.