Prepare time: 20 min
Cook: 1 hr 20 min
Ready in: 1 hr 40 min
A sweet chicken pie with a subtle difference – found on my journeys in the Middle East and North Africa. Makes a perfect buffet dish. Make sure bouillon is strongly flavored.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Place chicken breasts in a small saucepan and cover with bouillon and water.
- Poach over medium-low heat, just below the boiling point.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes, until no longer pink in center. Dice chicken.
- Reserve bouillon.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs with 1/2 cup reserved bouillon and chopped parsley. In a separate bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll out one sheet of pastry into a 12 inch square.
- Cut other sheet of pastry in half and roll out into two 8 inch squares. Fit 12 inch square of pastry into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Spread half of diced chicken evenly across bottom of pastry.
- Pour half of egg mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with half of cinnamon and sugar mixture, then with salt and pepper. Cover with one 8 inch square of pastry.
- Cover pastry square with remaining chicken, egg mixture, and cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Cover with remaining pastry square. Fold edges of bottom pastry over top of pie.
- Brush with melted butter or margarine.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve lukewarm or cold.