Prepare time: 2 hr 15 min
Cook: 5 min
Ready in: 2 hr 20 min
Puff-Puff is the simplest of recipes, this Nigerian version is everything fried bread should be, it is just very wet bread dough made of flour, water, salt, yeast and sugar, puff is usually fried and not baked.
- Warm water
- Egg (optional)
- White flour
- Onion (optional)
- Salt (pinch of salt)
- Vegetable oil
- Nutmeg (cinnamon)
- Mix water and sugar in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water and leave for 5mins to soften, mix in yeast and leave for another 10mins until it begins to get foamy.
- Stir salt and flour into yeast mixture. Beat well to make a smooth batter.
- Cover it and leave to rise for at least 2hrs. If you like you can leave it longer than that.
- Pour vegetable oil in a deep pan and place on medium heat. Add onion now to test how hot the oil is, it gives a nice flavor but optional too.
- Scoop the mixture with your fingers and transfer to the pan of oil.
- Fry the puff-puff for about 3mins on each side, turning when they are browned.
- Remove from pan and drain.
Serve with chilled juice or soft drink.