Coconut Chicken Curry is a simple one skillet go-to meal that can be made in a dozen different ways – spicy and not spicy, extra sweet, extra savory, with broccoli, cabbage, with green peppers, with potatoes and carrots. One can never go wrong with coconut chicken curry, no matter your choice of veggies. Coconut chicken curry gives room for originality.
Coconut Chicken Curry
- 1 coconut or 600mls (2½ cups) coconut milk
- 12 chicken drumsticks or 500g boneless chicken
- 3 mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- ¼ green bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 3 stalks spring onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 2 small seasoning cubes
- salt to taste
- Prepare the coconut milk and mix with the corn flour. Set aside.
- Shred the green, red and yellow bell peppers with the mushrooms and chop the onion.
- Marinade the chicken pieces with the onion powder, thyme, some salt, black pepper and half of the chopped onions.
- Put it in a pot with little water, stir over medium heat till it is well steamed.
- Add the coconut milk mixture and the curry powder, cover and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and once it boils again, chopped carrots, green & red bell pepper and green peas.
- Cover and once it simmers, add salt and more water if necessary.
- Leave to cook until the chicken is tender and the veggies are well cooked.
- Serve with boiled white rice, boiled white coconut rice, pasta, mashed potatoes and other boiled staple foods.