Serve it with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy, cornbread and green beans, corn, cole slaw, or collard greens for a good old southern meal.
No Buttermilk Skillet-Fried Chicken
This recipe is made without buttermilk but still has a perfect flaky golden crust, tender juicy meat, and couldn’t be easier to make!
For the Chicken
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1½ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 chicken thighs
For Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- 2 lbs white potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Wash and thoroughly dry chicken pieces and place in single layer in pan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Sprinkle flour over chicken in pan. Toss chicken to coat well in flour.
- Heat up the oil in a cast iron pan and place chicken pieces, skin side down in hot oil.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until skin is pale golden brown. Turn chicken over and cook for 10 minutes on second side. Turn chicken pieces once more, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook approximately 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken to paper towel lined plate and allow to drain for about 5 minutes.
Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C | 400°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet or tray with cooking oil spray.
- Arrange the potatoes on the sheet in one layer, and add the oil and salt. Toss until the potatoes are well coated and seasoned.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, while flipping occasionally, until crisp and golden.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and season with a little extra salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle over with parsley and serve immediately