Omek Houria is a well-known Tunisian cuisine that literally translates to “your mother (Omek) the fairy” (Houria).
OMEK HOURIA TUNISIAN SPICY CARROT SALAD
- 4-6 Piece(s) Cloves Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon(s) (Karwia) Caraway
- Harissa (diari / house) (depending on your preference)
- 2-3 Tablespoon(s) Olive Oil
- 10 Piece(s) Carrot
- At first, peel the carrots then cut them into not too thin slices.
- In a large saucepan, immerse the carrot slices in about 1/2 liter of water and bring to the boil until the carrots become tender.
- Then at the end of 20-25 minutes, the cooking finished, drain the carrots. Crush them coarsely with a fork.
- Peel the garlic cloves and mash them.
- Mix the garlic with the crushed pieces of carrots.
- Add the harissa (at your convenience) and the teaspoon of caraway (Kawaria). You will take the time to mix well.
- Add spices while cooking omek houria and mix
- Add 2 to 3 spoons of olive oil and a big pinch of salt. If you are a purist your salad is ready to be served chilled.
- If you wish you can add a spoonful of vinegar or fresh lemon juice which goes very well with carrots.