Gomen (Ethiopian Collard Greens)
Looking for a delicious taste of Ethiopian cuisine? Gomen wat is the Ethiopian version of collard greens. This authentic Ethiopian side dish takes eating healthy greens to a whole new level of deliciousness! Here’s how to make it.
- 3 tablespoons niter kibbeh (plus an extra tablespoon for later)
- 1 large yellow onion , halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch collard greens (about 12 ounces) , washed, thick stems removed, roughly chopped (can also use kale)
Heat niter kibbeh in a pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes.
Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the collard greens and another tablespoon of niter kibbeh and cook until the collards turn bright green and are wilted but still a slightly crispy, 5-7 minutes.
Add more spices and/or niter kibbeh to taste.