Waakye is one of the popular dishes in Ghana. it is served anytime of the day and is available in most Ghanaian restaurants around the world. The best way to taste this famous African rice and beans dish is by making it yourself. The dish comes in many different varieties, but the main ingredients are always rice and beans. The type of beans depends on the cook, The rice and beans can be served with either meat or fish and vegetables like fried plantain. The following recipe is Waakye with beef and plantain.
- 400 gr rice
- 400 gr canned kidney beans
- 150 gr broken Spaghetti or any other pasta (Macaroni etc)
- 2 tomatoes
- hot black pepper sauce/chili sauce
- stock cube
- 200 gr beef
- 2 plantains
- cooking oil (peanut or palm oil)
- Cut the beef and tomatoes in very small cubes and fry it shortly in a cooking pan with some peanut oil add some salt, pepper sauce, and magi cube after beef and tomatoes have simmered for a bit.
- Add the rice and mix it in well before adding water until rice is fully covered and bring to boil while sturing the pot once every while, add water when necessary. you can also add the pasta now.
- Cut the plantain in thin slices and fry in a frying pan using peanut oil.
- After 10 minutes you add the canned beans with their fluit to the rice and warm it up again while mixing it in. taste and at more spice to taste.
- Serve the Waakye on a plate with the fried plantain on top of it. enjoy