Vetkoek (fried bread)can be made for a lovely family or friendly dinner or snack. You can make these vetkoek any size you prefer, big or small or medium it still has that good tatse and satisfying felling. They are a great party snack if they are made small and filled with various processed meats, beef, tuna and mayo, syrup, curried minced meat, cheese, or basically anything you feel like. They’re fast, easy, and very tasty. Try it. Gte one for yourself and family members.
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups oil for frying
- Mix lukewarm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl.
- Let stand until yeast softens and begins to bubble slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Pour water mixture over flour mixture and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 5 to 7 minutes. Cover bowl with clean cloth and let dough rise until until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Pinch off a piece of dough about the size of a tennis ball; roll until smooth.
- Flatten ball of dough until it is the size of palm; set aside on a floured work surface.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Fry flattened pieces of dough in the hot oil, 2 to 3 pieces at a time, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.