Prepare time: 15 min
Cook: 30 min
Ready in: 45 min
Umm Ali is a sweet traditional Egyptian dessert equivalent to North America’s bread pudding. You can serve it warm with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream or with any other soft drink.
- 1 (17.25 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Unroll the puff pastry sheets, and place flat on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Break the puff pastry into pieces, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the raisins, almonds, pine nuts, pistachios, and coconut, and toss to distribute.
- Pour into a 9×13 inch glass baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, and stir in the sugar and vanilla.
- Heat until hot but not quite boiling.
- Pour over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Turn the oven to broil, and broil for 2 minutes to brown the top.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm.