Thieboudienne or which means rice and fish in Wolof, is a famous dish of Senegal and can be considered its national dish. Its main ingredients are rice, fish and tomato sauce. Thieboudienne can also be found in neighboring countries. The origin of this dish is commonly attributed to the city of St. Louis, where in the nineteenth century a variant called Thieboudiene Penda Mbaye was prepared. The rice is called “riz graz” in Cote d’ Ivoire , Guinea and other countries of French West Africa but is also similar to the Jollof Rice of Nigeria and Ghana.
- 3 cups of rice ( broken rice)
- 4 large pieces of fish (of your own choice)
- 3 fresh tomatoes, mashed
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 bunch of parsley, crushed
- 1 large carrot , peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 2 potatoes , peeled and chopped1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small eggplants, facultitatif
- 1 small cabbage, cut into 4 pieces
- 200ml peanut oil
- 2 bouillon cube or Maggi cube
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 peppers,
- 1 table spoon of black pepper
- 6 small okra
- 1 tablespoon of Yété , optional
- 1 tablespoons nététou (if available)
- 1.5l hot water
- Mix the parsley, half the garlic , a little pepper , add salt and half a Maggi . Directory you can loot in a mortar or use a food processor.
Then put the mixture into the fish pieces .
- Heat oil , add onions , tomatoes, tomato paste , the remaining black pepper garlic. Then fry for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Then add the fish in tomato sauce.
- Add the bouillon cube (or Maggi ), with bay leaves and 1 cup of water.
- Then simmer until the fish pieces are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the fish pieces and add all the vegetables except okra with 1 cup of water and cook the vegetables until they are cooked ( 25-30 min) .
- You must ensure that the vegetables are ready before removing them, but make sure not to overcook.
Then remove the vegetables and add the okra with water.
- After 5 min remove the okra and add the rice.
- Cook the rice over low heat , turning often so that all sides are cooked well .
- When the rice is cooked well its ready for serving. place the rice in a nice dish and arrange the vegetables and fish on top.