Thiébou yapp is a hearty Senegalese stew made with a combination of rice, meat, and vegetables.
It is usually prepared with steamed broken rice, which is added to a meat broth containing browned chunks of beef or lamb, and the concoction is then simmered until fully cooked.
This comforting dish is quite easy to prepare.
Thiébou yapp Recipe
This stew is a variation of the Senegalese national specialty thiébou jen, which uses fish instead of meat.
Typical ingredients include onions, garlic, bell peppers, cabbage, eggplants, habanero peppers, mustard, carrots, tomatoes, paprika, vinegar, oil, and chopped parsley.
To make your Thiébou yapp, you start by peeling the carrots and cutting them into slices.
Wash and cut the pepper and the onions into slices too, put them in a bowl of a blender and add the jar of sweet corn, the olives, pepper, vinegar to your taste and 1 culinary cube.
Mix the mixture well and store it aside. Boil the eggs, wait for them to cool and cut them into slices as well as the tomatoes.
Wash and cut the meat into pieces, mix finely and add 1 vegetable stock cube and already peeled garlic. Heat the oil over high heat in a large pot and fry the pieces of meat without removing them.
Make the gold then add water, and a small pinch of salt then let simmer for 45 minutes at medium broth.
When the pieces of meat are cooked, wash the rice, drain it, then pour it into the cooking broth and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the quality of the rice.
Pour the rice into a large dish, decorate with the mixture, the tomatoes and the eggs and serve!
Be Sure to Try These Other Senegal Dishes!
Be sure to recreate this incredible recipe. Enjoy your Thiébou yapp!
Thiebou yapp or rice with meat
- ¼ chicken
- 250 g of beef or mutton
- 250 g rice _
- 1 ½ large onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 stalks of parsley
- 2 balls of peppers
- 1 green pepper
- ½ can of Macedonia
- some olives
- Nora spices
- Nora Provencal herbs Nora shrimp powder, Nora ground black pepper, seven spices
- oil salt and laurel
- Make the nokoss. Crush half an onion, parsley, garlic, chilli and bell pepper. Then add the Nora special meat marinade, Nora black ground pepper and salt.
- Marinate the meats with the nokoss and reserve the rest.
- Fry the chicken on both sides until golden brown then set aside.
- Reduce the oil then add the marinated beef, a little onion and a little nokoss, stir well and leave to fry.
- Once the onion is slightly caramelized.
- Add about 2l of water, a little nokoss, peppers, spices (herbes de Provence, Nora powdered pepper, Nora powdered shrimp, bay leaf) and salt. Then add the chicken and simmer about twenty minutes .
- The chicken is well cooked, set it aside.
- Adjust the broth and add the rice and cook.
- Once the rice is almost cooked, place the chicken on it so that it stays hot when ready to serve.
- Cover with cling film then cover and reduce the heat to a minimum.
- Meanwhile, make the onion and Macedonia sauce.
- In a frying pan, add a little oil, then the diced onions and peppers, add the rest of the nokoss, season.
- Add the Macedonia and simmer over low heat.
- Here, your thiebou yapp or rice with meat is ready.
- First serve the rice in a large dish.
- Then add the chicken and the Macedonia sauce.
- Enjoy this excellent dish of thiebou yapp or rice with meat, yum.