This is a delicious vegetable dish from Sierra Leone. A tantalizing marinated eggplant and tomato salad tossed with coconut and peanuts just before serving for an exotic crunch.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chille pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the eggplant in the butter until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the hot pepper, tomatoes, onion, and eggplant.
- Mix together the vinegar and oil, pour over the vegetables, and toss gently to coat.
- Cover, and chill for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Toss salad with coconut and peanuts just before serving.