Waakye is a Ghanaian dish of cooked rice and beans, commonly eaten for breakfast or lunch. The rice and beans, usually black eyed peas, are cooked together to give that a trip to Africa cuisine taste.
- 2 cup black eyed beans
- 2-4 dried millet stalk leaves
- 4 cup jasmine rice
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Remove unwanted particles and wash beans and soak beans overnight to reduce the cooking time.
- Boil beans in a large saucepan with enough water and the leaves.
- Wash rice, drain water and add it to the cooked bean and oil. (follow the instruction for the manufacturer for the Yasmine rice)
- Add salt and stir, leave to cook whiles frequently checking to ensure desired texture.