Offal balls is a special type of rice recipe. It takes more time and effort tot make. It is also very tasty and nutritious. It contains proteins, vegetables and lots of other nutrients. I tried this a lot when I was with my grandmother in Ivory Coast. it made sense then and ever since then I have been doing this. Make a try during the holidays and see the wonders of this great recipe.
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup (1/2 pound/250 g) long-grain white rice
- 1 pound (500 g) cooked liver or other variety meats or meat, minced
- 1 yellow or red onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 cups whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- In a pan, bring the water to a boil. Add the rice and stir.
- Cook over low heat, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then remove the lid.
- Once the rice has cooled, combine in a large bowl with the meat, onin, egg, garlic powder, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Form into small balls (the size of Ping-Pong balls). Roll each ball in the bread crumbs and then the egg-and-milk mixture.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet and, when it is hot, fry the balls until they are cooked inside and golden on the outside (check the first one cooked).
- Drain and serve.