The foufou is usually obtained by pounding yam, cassava or boiled plantain. Foufou (Powder) is a white fermented carbohydrate food, produced from cassava, plantain, yam. It is different from the traditional product, which is normally obtained in wet form and highly perishable. The mechanized product is presented in dried flour form. It’s a great substitute for the pounded fufu.
For the Fufu
- 4 cup fufu flour
- 6 cup water` depending on the consistency you want
For the Foufou sauce
- 1 chicken
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 bouillon cube
- 2 cloves
- 2 allspice
- smoked fish
- vegetables (okra, eggplant, tomatoes, green pepper)
- Salt and pepper
Preparing the Fufu
- Boil 2 cups of water and add the mixture
- Cook until the liquid turns into a paste.
- Test: wet your hand and touch the dough … if it sticks to your fingers, cover and cook longer.
- As soon as it is cooked remove from the heat and put in a ball.
Preparing the Foufou Sauce
- Put in a large saucepan the chicken cut into pieces with enough water to cover the meat, the bouillon cube and the seasoning. Bring to a boil and keep on the heat for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on whether the chicken is more or less hard).
- Cut the aubergines in 2, the tomato.
- Add the eggplant and okra.
- Add 4 teaspoon of foufou.
- Once the meat, eggplant and okra cooked add the tomato, chilli,fish. Cook for 10 minutes and season to taste.
- Serve with foufou.