Prepare time: 15 min
Cook: 20 min
Ready in: 35 min
Potato Peppersoup is one of the ways to add potatoes to your family meals. As the name implies, it contains pepper soup ingredients so it is spicy hot hence great for a cold harmattan or winter day.
- 5 medium Irish Potatoes
- 300g fresh fish (head and tail only)
- 10 medium mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 2 habanero peppers
- 1 teaspoon ground ehu (Calabash Nutmeg)
- 1 big stock cube
- Black pepper
- 5 scent leaves
- 3 bay leaves (optional)
- Salt (to taste)
Notes on The Ingredients For Potato Pepper Soup
- You can use tilapia, croaker fish or cat fish.
- Irish Potato is informally known as spud. You may also use yam, sweet potatoes but Irish potatoes are preferable for this meal.
- Mushroom is Ero/Elo/Eru (Igbo), Oru (Igala), Udib/Annang (Efik/Ibibio), Leman Kwado or Rumfar Kwado or Hular Kare (Hausa), Olu (Yoruba), Itu/Utun (Edo/Delta), Ikhowe (IsiZulu) etc.
- Ehu (Calabash Nutmeg) is a very traditional ingredient that is difficult to find outside Nigeria. You can add more of black pepper to make up for ehu. Ordinary nutmeg is not an alternative to this because they are not similar in any way.
- The 2 habanero peppers may be too much but you can adjust to your taste
- If you do not have scent leaves, use parsley.
- The bay leaves did not make any difference so you can skip it.
Preparations Before Cooking
- Peel the Irish Potatoes, rinse and cut into medium cubes.
- Cut the fish head and tail into sizeable chunks.
- Cut the habanero pepper into medium pieces.
- Cut each mushroom into 2 parts.
- Grind the ehu.
- Cut the onion into into thin slices along the bulb. This is so that when they heat up, they will add body to the pepper soup.
- Cut the scent leaves into tiny pieces.
- Pour a small qauntity of water into a clean pot and set on the stove.The water should just cover the bottom of the pot. Apply medium heat.
- Add the ground ehu, black pepper and stock cube (crushed).
- Stir and gently place the pieces of fish in the pot.
- Once the bottom heats up, turn the fish around so that all sides will get some heating and become tough.
- When the fish is well heated all over, remove them from the pot and add the potatoes.
- Add water to cover the potatoes, add the bay leaves and start cooking on high heat till the potatoes are cooked but not soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the fish (gently), the onions and habanero pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then take out the fish again and add salt to taste. Note: we add the fish, take it out, add, take it out etc so that it does not scatter.
- Stir to make sure everything is incorporated.
Potato Pepper Soup Can be Served With
- Chilled drink.