Great and tasty Ndole recipe (Cameroon Bitterleaf Casserole) for you to try and enjoy. This is one of the national dishes of Cameroon and also popular in other parts of Africa. The Ndole is like the Cameroonian flag revered by children and worshiped by the elders. The Ndole is a mixture of vegetables, fresh peanut paste, crayfish, shrimp and beef preferably with bones. The Ndole can be eaten with Fufu, garri, semovita, wheat, Cassava, yams, rice or fried plantains. This dish is very rich thanks to the beautiful mix of peanut paste and shrimps. Ndole gives you a substantial intake of vegetables. Ndole is from the Sawa tribe Littoral Province in Cameroon. Today several versions of this dish are Black Ndole with dried fish called done by Cameroonian locals, Green Ndole with meat and seafood, Very bitter Ndole called Ndole Amer.
- 1.5lbs bitter-leaf
- 1.5lbs beef with bones – cut into pieces
- 4 cups big yellow onions -finely chopped or sliced (divided) reserve 1 for garnish
- 1/2 cup of celery – 1 branch
- 20 g of fresh ginger – grated
- 2 tbs Afro-Fusion All-purpose Seasoning
- 6 cloves of garlic – (divided)
- 3 cups Fresh peanut- depulped and parboiled for 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup- leeks or scallion or green onion
- 1/4 of habanero or Birdseye chili (optional)
- salt – to taste
- 2 stock cubes bouillon – (divided)
- 1/2 cup peanut oil – ( divided) or to your taste
- 3 cups of beef stock)
- 30 medium-size Prawns- 30
- 1 cup Crayfish ( Majanga) –
- 1. In a deep pot at a medium fire, bring your meat to Boil with 1/2 onion, afro-fusion seasoning, Maggi bouillon (cube) and salt.
- Cook until the meat is tender. Reserve.
- In a blender, blend to paste peanuts previously boiled with ginger,1/2 onion, habanero and leek, celery and garlic (3 cloves). Reserve this paste.
- In a new pot over medium fire, add the peanut oil, sauté 1 onion diced, meat previously boiled without the juice, and add the peanut paste mixture. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes to prevent burning down.
- Taste the salt and season as needed.
- Add the crayfish (crushed dried shrimp).
- Add the Ndole (bitter leaf) and cook 10-15 minutes until you obtain a thick paste ” Casserole”.The Base of your Ndole is Done.