Meat Pie is a pie with a filling of meat and often other savory ingredients. Nigerian “meat pie” is similar to the Jamaican beef patty, meat pie can be baked or fried and the filling can be almost anything from corned beef to onions and tomatoes. I enjoy eating my own meat pie hot with soft drink or chilled Juice.
Ingredients for Stuffing
- Vegetable oil
- Ground beef
Ingredients for Dough
- Baking powder
Directions for Stuffing
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat, add the vegetable oil, onions, ground beef stir until the ground beef starts to turn brown
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook for some minutes
- Taste to make sure it is well spiced, add a little bit more of spices as needed. In a small bowl add your flour and mix in a little bit of water to form a thick paste. Add the paste and stir for some minutes. The stuffing should be thick and tasty.
Directions for Dough
- Grease the oven tray with butter and set aside
- Beat the egg and set aside too
- Put the flour, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl, use your hands to mix the ingredients until they start to feel like bread crumbs
- Slowly begin to add some cold water and mix until you get a stiff dough (knead the dough)
- Roll the dough on a flat surface and using a round object or a knife, cut a round circle. Place the filling at the middle of the dough and rub the egg lightly around the edges, close it up using a fork or better still you use meat pie cutter to press it down
- Glaze the top of the pie with the egg gently
- Place the pie on the greased oven tray and place in a preheated oven to bake for 30 minute. The pie will be golden brown when done.