Mageu is a traditional household non-alcoholic malt drink which has widespread popularity in South Africa. This drinkable porridge, Mageu is made from cold maize meal porridge with yeast. You can drink it with sugar and even without sugar.
- 25 gram Creamed Sweetcorn
- 500 gram Maize Meal
- 125 gram Sugar
- 17 Liters Water
- Boil the water in a pot.
- Add sweetcorn, maize meal and a little salt to taste.
- Stirring occasionally, cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add sugar and leave to cool.
- Pour in a container, cover tightly and leave to ferment for two days or till sour.
- Before serving, taste and dilute with water if need be.