Prepare time: 20 min
Cook: 2 days
Ready in: 2 days 20 min
Mageu is a traditional household non-alcoholic malt drink which has widespread popularity in South Africa. This drinkable porridge, Mageu is made from cold maize meal porridge with yeast. You can drink it with sugar and even without sugar.
- 125 g creamed sweetcorn
- 500 g maize meal
- 125 g sugar
- 17l water
- Boil the water in a pot.
- Add sweetcorn, maize meal and a little salt to taste
- Stirring occasionally, cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add sugar and leave to cool.
- Pour in a container, cover tightly and leave to ferment for two days or till sour.
- Before serving, taste and dilute with water if need be.
Image Source: Eatout