Prepare time: 20 min
Cook: 40 min
Ready in: 1 hr
Koshari consists of Lentils, rice and pasta that are cooked and then served in a spicytomato sauce. This is a typical dish that is very good and cheap over here. Put the sauce in a food processor if you like a smoother texture.
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the lentils and water in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for 25 minutes.
- Add the rice to the lentils, and continue to simmer for an additional 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Fill a separate saucepan with lightly salted water and bring to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned.
- Pour in the tomatoes and season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Simmer over medium heat for 10 to 20 minutes.
- In a large serving dish, stir together the lentils, rice and macaroni.
- Mix in the tomato sauce until evenly coated.