Grilled Spicy Shitto wings are basically chicken wing, grilled then coated or dipped in a shitto sauce. Shitto is a word for pepper in Ga, a Ghanaian language from Accra. Although the word for pepper differs according to various native languages, Shitto is commonly used for the hot pepper sauce peculiar to Ghanaian cuisine. Shitto sauce consists primarily of dried fish, vegetable oil, ginger, prawns, tomatoes, garlic, pepper, and spices. Grilled spicy shitto wings are loved for the spicy yet juicy flavors the shitto sauce brings to it.
- 1 pound Chicken wings (flats and drumettes)
- 2 tablespoon Shitto Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable/Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce(optional)
- 1 lime
- Cut, trim and wash chicken wings properly, pat with a paper towel.
- Place in a plastic bag, sprinkle with salt, vegetable/olive oil, pepper, a dash of fresh lime juice, and soy sauce.
- Mix well till everything is coated, set aside to marinate for about an hour.
- Prepare a grill for medium heat or a pre heated oven at 350 degrees.
- Place on the grill rack or baking tray (make sure it is greased) and place in the oven/grill
- Let it grill for about 30 minutes flipping halfway through, until skin is golden brown.
- Take it out of the oven/grill, place in a tray.
- Using the shitto sauce, coat properly and evenly
- Place back in the oven/grill, reduce the heat and leave for another 10 minutes
- Take it out, garnish with desired herbs and vegetables. Enjoy.
Nutritional Content: 181 calories, 14.6 g fat, 2.3 g carbohydrates, 10.1 g protein, 41 mg cholesterol, 1.54 mg sodium