Gizdodo is the combination of gizzards and fried ripe plantains (dodo) infused in spicy pepper sauce. Gizdodo is a popular dish in Nigeria especially in homes and parties. This is a simple dish often served with rice especially jollof rice but they make the perfect sides, snack or starter. Chicken gizzards is best used for this recipe, but you can also substitute it for turkey or duck gizzards.
Gizdodo (Gizzard and Plantain)
- habanero Pepper (ata rodo)
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- green chili
- vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Wash gizzards properly with hot water, add to pot, season with salt, thyme, curry,onions, bouillon and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Peel the skin of the plantains and cut into cubes and deep fry.
- Blend your tomatoes, onions and habanero pepper, green chili. After blending, drain water with a sieve.
- Cut the cooked gizzards into smaller pieces to match the cubed plantains, then fry till it's brown, drain and set aside.
- In the oil used to fry the gizzard, add some curry, thyme, then onions, chopped bell peppers, the tomato mixture and fry.
- When it is cooked, pour in the fried gizzards, add some of the stock.
- Taste for salt, cover and cook together for about 3 minutes.
- Finally add the fried plantain, mix properly together, leave to simmer for about 3 mins and set aside.
- Serve and enjoy.