There are so many ways to make an Eggplant Fatta. There are vegetarian versions, some of which add chickpeas. Some have meat but the meat layer is kept as a separate layer from the eggplant. Others do not use tomato sauce. The variations are endless. This version of fattet betingan has eggplant cooked with ground lamb (or beef) in a tangy tomato and pomegranate sauce, served on a bed of crispy pita and topped with garlic tahini yogurt.
One thing about this dish is that the components can all be made ahead of time and thrown together at dinner time. So, it is great for busy weeknights or when entertaining.
- 2 lbs eggplant
- olive oil
- 1 lb lamb or beef ground
- aleppo pepper
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 cups yogurt regular, whole milk
- 2 tbsp tahina
- 1 clove garlic large
- thin pita or good quality pita chips
For the Eggplant
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Chop eggplant into chunks.
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and spread out on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Bake until cooked through and golden, approximately 35 minutes.
For the Meat
- Heat a couple tablespoons olive oil in pan.
- Add ground beef and sear on high heat, breaking up chunks.
- Add your spices and salt and pepper to taste (approximately 1t sp allspice, 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and Aleppo pepper, and a small pinch of cardamom).
- Once meat is browning, toss in onion and let it soften a few minutes.
- Add tomato paste, mix and let it cook another few minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water, bring to boil, cover and turn down to simmer for at least twenty minutes.
- Add pomegranate molasses and taste, it should be slightly tart, add more if needed.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Once you're happy with the seasoning, toss in your eggplant chunks and summer 5 more minutes.
- Mix yogurt, tahini, finely minced clove garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Cut or tear pita into bite-size pieces, toss with olive oil and bake at 350F until golden, or substitute store-bought pita chips.
- In a casserole dish or on a platter, lay out pita chips. Add your layer of eggplant and meat, then yogurt. Garnish with fried nuts, parsley and pomegranate arils if available.