An Egyptian spice blend that is exciting and delicious. The more you eat it the more addicted you are to it. Serve with toasted crusty bread (Turkish bread is great for this), and olive oil. Dip bread into olive oil, then into the hazelnut mixture and enjoy this unique and addictive mix.
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet, and bake for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- While the nuts are still hot, pour them onto a tea towel.
- Fold the towel over them to cover, and rub vigorously to remove the skins.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds until light golden brown.
- Pour into a medium bowl as soon as they are done so they will not continue toasting.
- In the same skillet, toast the coriander and cumin seeds while shaking the pan or stirring occasionally until they begin to pop.
- Transfer to a food processor. Process until finely ground, then pour into the bowl with the sesame seeds.
- Place the cooled hazelnuts into the food processor, and process until finely ground. Stir into the bowl with the spices. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well.