Poulet Yassa, is the french name for Chicken Yassa is one of the delicious Senegalese Food. Senegalese dishes which originally came from the Casamance region. Chicken Yassa is now eaten in the whole region of West Africa and is becoming also more popular outside the continent. The chicken marinated with a sauce made of mostly onions and mustard has a unique taste and gives the food the delicious fusion flavors of Senegal. Chicken Yassa is either served with Rice or Sweet potato.
- French mustard
- 2 cubes of chicken stock
- 1 dried chili
- Pepper and salt
- 1 cup of water
- Lemon juice or 4 squished lemons
- 1 small chicken
- peanut oil
- 8 onions
- The best way to do is to marinade the chicken one day before. Make the marinade sauce by mixing 2 tablespoons French mustard with 4 tablespoons of peanut oil and 6 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Cut the chicken into smaller pieces and use ¾ of the mix to marinate the chicken. Keep the rest of the marinade for the next day.
- Now let the chicken rest in the fridge for a day (if you don’t have a day then let it rest 3 hours at least)
- Cut the 8 onions in large pieces and mix them with the rest of the marinade
- Put 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a large pan and heat it up. Now fry the chicken on high heat so it will turn brown quickly.
- Once fried turn the fire on low heat and add the onions and the rest of the marinade and cook for around 10 min.
- Once the onions are soft you should add the chicken stock cubes and 2 cups of waters and soften, add the chicken pieces, stock cubes, 2 cups of water and the dried chili. Now cook for around 45 minutes while stirring occasionally. Taste with a spoon to see if extra salt or pepper is needed.
- You can serve the rice with either cooked white rice (most common) or Sweet potato.
- Enjoy the delicious taste of your homemade Poulet Yassa from Senegal.