The African Peanut butter stew is creamy, delicious and flavorful. The combination of chicken, tomatoes, spices and peanut butter comes together quickly and is very easy to make.
In Africa, peanut is eaten as a snack and sometimes with porridge. However, it is noticed in other countries most people love peanut butter and jelly. If you are not allergic to peanut butter and love peanut butter and jelly: this recipe is absolutely a “must-try”.
The peanut butter stew gives you the aromatic flavor of the peanut butter and the savory taste profile. The peanut butter found in grocery stores are full of sugar, therefore you can make your own sugar free peanut butter. You can do so in 5 minutes by placing roasted peanuts in a food processor and turning the food processor on until it becomes creamy and smooth. The peanuts go in stages from crumbs to a dry ball to a smooth and creamy “liquid” peanut butter. The peanut butter holds in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
Chicken Peanut Stew
- 1 cup peanut butter paste
- 1 onion
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 - 5 habanero peppers or serrano pepper
- 8 chicken legs or wings
- 2 cloves garlic large
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 bouillon cube
- salt to taste
- Boil the chicken with your favorite seasoning, then Fry and set aside.
- Blend tomatoes and onion.
- Add remaining onion, tomato and tomato paste to the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and let it simmer stirring frequently to prevent any burns- about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the peanut butter, chicken (2 cups of water or chicken stock as needed), season with, chicken bouillon, salt and cayenne pepper. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes or more.
- Add the habanero peppers or Serrano pepper.
- Adjust the soup thickness with water/chicken stock if necessary and let simmer to desired thickness.
- The peanut butter can be served with white rice, Eba or Fufu
- You can substitute chicken for beef, pork, or smoked fish.
- You can also add vegetable like potato cabbage, carrot, kale, spinach, mustard greens, or whatever hearty greens you prefer.
- You can make it as spicy as you will like by adding pureed pepper