Yes no doubt chakalaka is a staple food in South Africa as well as other parts of the country and world. My friend, callif Mason White, gave this recipe to me. He eats this with Pap , but says it can also be enjoyed as a side dish with meat or vegemeat or with bread.
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium green bell powder, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- curry powder, to your taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- green chili (optional)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil, for frying
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Fry the onion and pepper together with oil in a large skillet until the onion is clear.
- Add the grated carrots, tomatoes, water, and all the seasonings to your liking and cook for about 15-20 minutes.