Boiled beans are an excellent source of fiber, protein, and iron. The nutrients in beans have potential health benefits, which range from decreasing cholesterol to maintaining low blood sugar. Boiled beans is just a simple meal of black eye peas boiled with salt.
- 2 cups of Black eyed peas
- SaIt to taste.
- Pick the beans carefully and take out stones and unwanted particles.
- Soak beans in cold water over night to remove phytic acid which inhibits digestion and produces gases that causes discomfort and flatulence.
- Wash and put in a pot filled with water, at least 2 inches above. Cook on high heat for 30 mins.
- Add salt to taste, reduce the heat and let the beans simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender.
Serving options: Serve as a main with pepper/vegetable sauce and fried plantain or as accompaniment to rice.
Nutritional Content: Calories 140, Sodium 5mg, Carbohydrates 16g, Dietary fiber 19g Sugar 0.3g fat 0g and Protein 12g