Originally made by settlers in Cape Malays, whose ancestral origin could be traced to Indonesia, East Africa and India, this drink, boeber is normally served on the 15th Night of Ramadan to celebrate the middle the middle of the fast. Boeber is a sweet, milk drink is made with vermicelli, sago, sugar,cardamom, stick cinnamon and rose water.
- 2 tbsp tablespoon Butter
- 250 g Crushed Vermicelli
- 5-8 small Cardamon Seeds
- 3 large Cinnamon Stick
- 1 cup 1 cup Milk
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup Sago
- 2 tsp Rose Water
- ½ cup Sugar
- 50 g Slivered Almonds (optional)
- 250 ml Warm Water
- Put sago in the warm water for about 30 minutes to soften.
- Melt butter in deep saucepan, add crushed vermicelli, coconut and almonds and fry till its golden brown.
- Boil the sago and milk in a pan, stir and set aside for 12 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, the vermicelli mixture, cardamon, rosewater, milk and sugar and gently simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes, stir till it thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence.
- Serve warm with sprinkles of toasted almonds.