Bobotie is a well-known South African dish consisting of spiced meat baked with an egg-based topping. It appears to be a variant of patinam ex lacte which comprises layers of cooked meat, pine nuts and seasoned with pepper, celery seeds and asafoetida. Bobotie is very delicious when hot.
Bobotie (Beef Pie)
- whole milk
- bay leaves
- silvered almonds
- bread slice soaked in milk
- cooked beef chopped
- lemon juice
- apple peeled and diced
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- Add the onions for 5 minutes, then add the apple dice and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped beef and combine.
- Squeeze out the excess milk from the bread slices, then tear up and add to pot.
- Add the curry powder, raisins, almonds, lemon juice, egg and turmeric and stir well.
- Place mixture in a greased baking dish and place bay leaves vertically in the casserole, bake for 40 minutes, then remove from the oven
- Mix together the egg and milk, then pour it over the bobotie and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.