Benne Cakes is a popular snack cookie that originated in Africa, where the benne seed comes from. Benne means sesame. It is enjoyed by the whole world because of its wonderful taste. Benne seeds are said to be eaten for good luck and it is popular in America during the Kwanzaa Celebration. Bring some luck to your celebration by trying these delicious and simple cakes.
- oil to grease a cookie sheet
- finely packed brown sugar
- butter or margarine
- egg (beaten)
- vanilla extract
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- baking powder
- toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven.
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet.
- Mix together the brown sugar and butter and beat until they are creamy.
- Stir the Egg, Vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and sesame seeds.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto the cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 min or until the edges are browned.
- You can enjoy it with chilled juice.