Prepare time: 20 min
Cook: 30 min
Ready in: 50 min
This is a great recipe for the month of Ramadan. It is an Egyptian dish. Bake in a clay baking dish if. In absence of that, any deep baking dish is fine.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water, or as needed to cover
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra, thawed
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Mix in lamb, salt, and black pepper; cook and stir until lamb is lightly browned, 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and water; season with salt and black pepper.
- Bring lamb mixture to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer lamb in sauce until very tender, at least 1 hour, adding more water as needed. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir okra into lamb mixture, adding more water if necessary, and bring to a boil.
- Spoon the bamia into a 2-quart baking dish and adjust salt and black pepper; cover dish with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until okra is tender, about 45 minutes; uncover for last 10 minutes of baking.